BIK Terminology—

Solving the terminology puzzle, one posting at a time

• Author

Barbara Inge Karsch - Terminology Consulting and Training

• Images

Bear cub by Reiner Karsch

• Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 789 other followers

Terminology: An expert explains

Posted by Barbara Inge Karsch on January 27, 2011

This is a quick follow-up on last week’s explanation of what terminology is. I found the following short video while researching into terminology management practices in the US automotive industry. I’ll get out of the way and let this fine scientist do the explaining. He does so in only 1:49 min, and I recommend watching it to the end.

If you come away understanding the content, you are a genius. If you don’t get a word, you have just learned why terminology matters in technical communication. And if you got a chuckle out of this, let me know.

Advertisements

15 Responses to “Terminology: An expert explains”

1. Hilarous! Thanks Barbara!

2. John Kohl said

Yes, truly hilarious! Thanks!

3. Sue said

Loved it. I remember Bud’s voice from so many things in the ’70s. Isn’t he the voice of commercials for Ronco, and the Popeil Pocket Fisherman, etc.? He was enjoying this one. 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

4. Licia said

I’d be worried if he hadn’t used an autocue*!

* teleprompter or telescript – don’t we all love terminology?!? 😉

5. Anja D. said

I am pretty sure EVERY government would buy it :-).

6. Ginette Fournier said

I loved it! Thanks for sharing.

7. What a finding! Didn’t manage to watch it ’til the end … tears in my eyes

8. […] there goes 1:49 of a perfectly good morning.  (From Barbara Inge Karsch via […]

9. […] there goes 1:49 of a perfectly good morning. (From Barbara Inge Karsch via […]

10. Chip said

I laughed till I cried at the end. That had to be the most twisted and funny use of nonsensically used jargon I have ever heard. Definitive piece on how to use Jargon interspersed with “comforting” words like “normal” and “usual” to sell SOS to the Government.

11. Luke said

Definitely got a laugh. Reminds me of this Onion video:

• Finally had a chance to watch this Onion classic. Oh my! You might also enjoy, if one can, Death Sentences by Don Watson; he used to be a speech writer in Australia and is sharing his insights into the decay of language in public life. Thanks very much for sharing it, Luke.